Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lemmings

 


It's too much. I'm not bitching now, just reinforcing earlier observations. My last delivery today was in Owensboro, KY. There are many ways home from there. None of them are good, winding across the hills of Southern Indiana, and most funnel through Bloomington and up the path of my daily commute. I chose the windy way through the Hoosier National, to see the Green Glory, but that's not this Story.

On 67 past Martinsville (it was nice to see the River from the higher seat of a truck; I see where the sand came from) we all fell into relation in the long stretch of open highway.

There were three of us. A small straight truck was in dire competition with a four wheeler several hundred feet in front of me. The four wheeler won, the straight truck accepted his position behind it and we all moved along together at the same speed for a long time. I kept my distance.

We finally came upon the first traffic signal on that stretch. I do this daily and know how the lights react so when it turned green again I was able to sail past those two lovers thinking they were both in my past.

Not so: they pursued me aggressively, both of them obviously breaking the speed limit, demanding to be in front.

“Hey, I'm not in competition; just trying to get down the road. Have it your own way.”

I don't know what happened to the four wheeler but I had multiple chances to pass that straight truck again but didn't; we were in the thick of traffic. I hope we all got where we were going.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment