Friday, October 2, 2009

Daily Exercise

 


My attitude toward the job of unloading the appliances off my truck sure has changed. I used to dread having to climb up in the dirty trailer and manhandle hundreds of pounds of metal, plastic and even concrete, in the case of washing machines, with only a hand truck. I'd have trouble and some scrawny kid would jump up there and make it look easy. “It's all in the technique,” they'd invariably say; nice of them. After seven months I won't say that I'm a pro, but I've survived, and learned a little along the way.

It's not that I enjoy it now. Given my druthers I could think of better things to do. But I've had two loads recently to receivers where I normally do the tailgating but they had extra workers who set right to it making me feel in the way. When it was all done I found myself disappointed. I realized that I'd been looking forward to getting some exercise and it hadn't happened.

Then, of course, there's loads like the one that I had yesterday. I'd never been to the place before so I called ahead and asked how to get my truck in there. I was given directions. “And there's room for a big truck, I'll see what I should do?” I asked. “We've had 53' trailers in here before, I assume you're as good a driver as them.” I made some self deprecating reply and thanked him.

When I pulled into the lot the next morning I couldn't see what to do. A guy came out and said, “Most people pull in the second drive so they can back up to that yellow pole over there.” I could tell it was the same guy I'd talked to over the phone. I thought, “That's why I asked you yesterday evening what to do you idiot!” but only said, “Oh, I see.” I had to leave and get turned around, which fortunately wasn't hard. It would have been a lot easier to back up to the yellow pole in the manner that was needed if the guy had moved his delivery van out of the way, but I managed it.

Anyway, those were the early indicators that this operation wasn't firing on all its cylinders. I got backed up and opened the trailer. I had three stops that day and it was loaded to the doors with refrigerators stacked prone on top of other refrigerators at the very end; a wall of freight. The guy, who turned out to be the owner said, “I won't have any help here till 9:00,” then turned and walked away. If it wasn't 9:00 yet it almost was, and there was no help in sight. I was just lucky it was a lift gate load (on a trailer equipped with a retractable extension that can be raised and lowered) or I wouldn't have had anywhere to stand to bring down the prone loaded “cooling equipment.” Most of the work that I could have used help with was done by the time the “help” arrived, though I'd mentally screamed, “HELP,” a few times by then. I got my exercise alright. I can still feel it.

Another time I got to a receiver where I normally do the work but didn't have to, and this time was much relieved. I'd had four stops that day, ranging from Evansville, IN to Owensboro, KY. Some inane mix up happened at each of the first three stops to delay me, and in one instance to cause me extra work, doing another person's job (so that I could get out of there, not because I'm nice!). On top of that I'd hurt my back in California moving my dad around. I was healing nicely but used it wrong doing that extra work and re-injured it.

I was dreading that last stop. If nothing else happened to continue the trend there was still a lot of heavy freight to be moved. As it turned out I didn't have to do anything. I didn't get back until late, on a Friday, but at least the day had ended on a positive note. I'd actually meant to make a post out of it because it was quite comical, all told, and showed in the end that Murphy's Law doesn't always apply.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment