Sunday, June 15, 2014

Auditory Ques


Gorgeous weather; what I'm talkin' 'bout.

I was working in the garden yesterday morning when I heard something approach. I knew it was an animal, a four footed rhythm. Expecting a dog I saw a spotted faun.

My first thought was that it was coming to graze, but no, the poor thing seemed unaware of both the garden and me. It stopped just ten feet from where I sat and with its tail wrapped tight between it's legs sniffed the air, the grass, the woodpile. It wandered over and examined the opened shed where the lawnmower resides. For a moment it sensed me, looked right at me sniffing with its ears all akimbo, then moved on to the back yard.

I fear for it. It spent about twenty minutes within my gaze and not once did I hear the husky bark of its mother or see another deer at all. It will find its way home, whether that's within the fold or the belly of a coyote I don't know, but I was graced by its presence.

Later I had the chain saw out getting ready for next winter when I heard a motorcycle. Between cuts I turned to watch the road and didn't see anything so went back to work.

But wait, I could still hear it and looked again. Still the road was empty. I revved the engine then let it idle trying to determine if the sound was coming from me. Nothing; so I went back to work.

Soon back pipes were firing and a whole gaggle of motor bikes were passing me by, I could feel the vibration in my chest; I thought I'd heard something.

Summertime.


No comments:

Post a Comment