Saturday, February 11, 2012

Toy Trains


I'm sitting here drinking coffee, waiting for the kids to get up. From Shoshana's apartment you can see the rail yard at the terminus of the Red Line. I like watching the trains snake around the tight turns, their segmented bodies complying in turn to the form of the track like a silver snake. Sometimes two trains follow each other, amplifying the effect, sometimes there are trains going in opposite directions. I haven't quite figured out the layout of the yard, how the flow works. I particularly like it when a train comes down the long sloping s-curve ramp that is, I believe, the southbound arm of the Purple Line heading toward the city from points north. They come in fast then slow to a crawl.

I always learn so much when I come up here. This time I learned about transporting fishes and coral, and in more detail how you ship a Beluga Whale. They go Fed Ex. Of course it's more complicated than that! I hear about these things over the phone but get so much more out of a face to face conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment