Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eek A Mouse!

 


It's usually light by the time that I make it to the wind farm north of Lafayette. I generally have another stop or two somewhere, and early for Northwest Indiana is an hour later for me, it being on Central Time. I passed through there twice this week in the predawn darkness though. The warning lights on the tops of the turbines are all wired to the same switch. They're all on at the same time; all dark at the same time. The scale is vast. It's spooky. It looks like some gigantic industrial instillation and seems menacing, conjuring an image of a blasted nightmare landscape. I know, however, that the windmills are set amid fertile fields awaiting planting, and rather than being sinister offer hope.

It's not fair: I don't want to go to bed at night, and I don't want to get up in the morning either!

I was cruising to work the other morning, the interior of my car lit only by the dash lights. I imagined some movement out of the corner of my eye and ignored it. I saw it again, looked and OH MY GOD, there was something moving! I found that I had changed lanes without looking and was headed for the median, away from whatever it was over there. Granted I knew that I had the road to myself at the time but still, one mustn’t overreact, it was only a mouse.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment