Saturday, July 3, 2010

Green Revolution

 


Let me start with the rivers, the recipients of the runoff, the conduits of motion. There have been lakes where there should not have been lakes, swamps amidst the cornfields, crop damage, a drowned teenager. I crossed bridges with the water so close I could have dove in. We've had a lot of rain.

It's subsiding now, the sandbars begin to reappear and the snag that was causing all that turbulence reveals itself (White River). Further downstream (Evansville) there are still unmapped lakes and the rivers are wide. I crossed the Ohio today, with the sun shinning. The weather has broken and now we are in paradise here in Indiana.

The agriculture follows the curve of the earth. What was it my Dad used to say, “Knee high by the Forth of July?” Up north the corn is at least thigh high; down south ten foot. The Green Revolution.

Green is the color, the setting. The bright yellow mustard fields of spring gave way first to ripened wheat, and now to haystacks as well. The grasses yellow too. Flowers are sprinkled everywhere.

Happy Independence Day!

 

1 comment:

  1. Heard about this Green Revolution but never really took interest in it because it seems that very few people are interested in it as well. I don't even hear my friends, my family, my relatives or even my neighbors talk about it. Its as if those who talks about it are the environmentalist but not the ordinary people.

    ReplyDelete