Saturday, June 5, 2010

You're Invited

 


I was invited to a party yesterday. The party is tomorrow. It's at my house. Miles called me and said that James was going out of town and if I was going to be around they were thinking of having a get together out here. I said, sure, of course, thinking this was a last minute play. So I called James and never did hear about his move; I became preoccupied once I found out that the plans have been in the works for weeks. So I'm just an afterthought? I didn't cancel the party, but I canceled my housework. I'm not hosting. What you see is what you get.

There are two bright spots. Morris, the dude that was laid up with the motorcycle wreck, will be here, possibly with his sister from Indy. I quit worrying about Morris when he won 98% on the pool table against his brother and I. I'm merely average but his brother carries a stick. And Jackie, a Barmaid at the Pub, will finally be able to bring her sweetheart, my near neighbor whom I've never met, to a fire in my backyard.

Jackie's the only one that I invited. I just hope my resentment doesn't spoil the atmosphere before they arrive. I love this group of people and I'm glad they're going to be here at my house but I am a little put out.

There's a hole in the bottom of the sea...

Early this morning, while it was cool and the mist was rising, a deer crossed my path. On two wheels I was silent, the wind in my favor. She was grazing, a mere fifteen feet away, pointed the opposite direction. It was when I turned my bike that she got my scent and eventually bolted. I rode with her as she crossed the road.

Glory, glory, glory! There's nothing like Midsummer!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment