Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Silly Goose

 


I thought maybe the geese were gone, flown north for the season. They were back this morning though, waddling through the parking lot, honking up a storm. I got to the yard later than usual and they were quite active. I usually see them in the predawn darkness floating quietly on the water. When I come back from my run in the afternoon gaggles of them mill about the lawn or saunter across the driveway in front of me. I haven't seen as many of them lately though.

I don't know why but builders quite often leave ponds of open water along the periphery of these newer industrial sites they construct these days, and the yards that I use in Plainfield to park my truck and pick up my loads are no exception. I'm told that the pond by Electrolux is actually stocked with fish, though I've never seen them. The water attracts geese, ducks and one morning there was a raccoon on the edge of the water just below me when I walked around the trailer to do my safety check. The ducks are pretty skittish but the geese and that raccoon seem pretty used to humans.

Others blessings provided by the water are the way it reflects dawn, when I'm late enough to see that, or moonlight, often with a mist rising off the surface. The pond at Electrolux reflects the security lights from the next warehouse over sending ripples of light dancing across the sides of the trailers. It's a calming influence, as I start my stressful day. With a little imagination I can imagine that I'm packing a boat for an early morning fishing trip; don't I wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment