Friday, January 15, 2010

My Old Friend

 


Dawn, my trusty companion. There's snow on the ground and this morning I noticed it lighten, almost glow, an electric blue, before I realized that the sky was brightening as well. I was traveling up US 31 through Northern Indiana and wondered if I'd get a repeat of yesterday's dawn in Central Illinois. But no, although the land is essentially flat I was in a mildly hilly region, near the Wabash River, and Indiana has more forest in general anyway, so the horizon was obscured from view. The part of Illinois I was traversing yesterday was totally flat, with little or no forest cover. The horizon there was the end of the earth. I didn't notice the snow glowing but a band of orange ringed me worldwide; stronger and wider to the southeast, surely, but continuous nonetheless. Then, when the sun actually rose, a red giant in my mirror, the snow turned orange, its shadows a deep blue.

Light supplies the magnificence in my life, shadow the mystery; and it's all (strange) beautiful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment